Tipler's Moving Tips
Here are some helpful tips to help make your move as smooth as possible. We're always available to answer any questions you may have regarding packing or your move!
Residential or commercial moves – personalized to meet your needs at a value that can’t be beat. Local, across the state, or anywhere in the country, our exceptional, professional service will make your move stress-free!
Six weeks before your move:
- Call Tipler Transfer at 274-6866. We’ll come out and give you an estimate based on the actual contents of your home or office. We’ll happily answer any questions you may have and add your move to our calendar.
- Clean out your garage, closets, basement, attic, storage sheds, etc. Decide what you don’t want to take to your new location. Have a moving sale or donate items to a local charity. If you are donating, get a receipt to use as a possible deduction on your income taxes!
- Do you have items you cannot part with but won’t fit into your new location? Make arrangements with Tipler Transfer and we’ll store your items in our secure storage facility.
Four weeks before your move:
- File a change of address form with the post office. Send address change cards to magazines, clubs, creditors, etc.
- Begin packing room by room. This is a great time to take an inventory for insurance purposes. Start packing items used less frequently. Clearly label on the box top what the contents of each box is and which room the box will be GOING INTO at your new location. Place heavier items in smaller boxes. All boxes should be in good shape and have sealed tops.
Two weeks before your move:
- Schedule disconnect dates at your current location for utilities (gas, electric, telephone, water).
- Schedule turn-on dates for utilities at your new location.
- Schedule a delivery change for your newspaper or other regular services that come to your home.
- If moving out of and/or into a building that has an elevator, make arrangements to try and secure elevator key for use during the move.
- Make a plan for transporting hazardous materials that cannot be placed into the moving truck (paint, portable gas cans, LP or gas tank for grill, firearms, etc.).
- Plan on moving your pets, plants. If possible, find an off-sit pet sitter for the day of the move to avoid added stress to your pet or the possibility of them running away or getting under the movers’ feet.
The week of your move:
- Pack a couple of boxes or your luggage with essential items you will need right away at your new location. Clearly mark the box “ESSENTIALS” so they can be loaded last on the truck (or if you plan on taking them in your own vehicle). Don’t forget to include your pet’s essentials as well!
- Clearly mark all items that are not to be moved.
- Make plans to transport yourself any cash, jewelry, firearms, family heirlooms or other irreplaceable items.
- To save yourself money and the movers time, disassemble any furniture items that will need to be taken apart prior to your move (bed frames, dressers with mirrors, computer desks, etc.). Place screws and parts into a labeled Ziploc bag and tape or tie securely to item.
- Empty and clean your appliances.
- Be on hand when our Tipler Transfer truck arrives for your move. Plan on staying throughout the loading process. Check carefully to make sure nothing gets left behind as the movers complete the loading process.
- Lock your old location as your leave.
- Make sure the Tipler driver has directions to your new location and your phone number in case the need to reach you.
- Plan on paying for your move with a check or cash once our movers are done unloading.